TT is going out of style. Large-diameter watches are still around, but they are mostly Chinese fashion watches that end up being sold off on the secondary markets. Yet, while the reign of the oversized watch is in decline, it still has its fans amongst casual and professional adventurers.
Yet, while the reign of the oversized watch is in decline, it still has its fans amongst casual and professional adventurers.
They need robust watches ready for all eventualities, watches that are genuine pieces of equipment. Some might say they don’t make them like they used to. Others would say, they haven’t made them like that yet. Many new watch models have the bulky parts of their mechanics inside the movement, which is usually on full display, but Tough watches have retained substantial middles. And makers aren’t afraid to add more accessories, if required. It’s true that the world of adventuring, with is rugged conditions, hostile terrain, freezing cold and burning hot temperatures, has challenged watchmakers to create innovative pieces. Watches have become more robust, reliable and resistant, with innovative materials and functions, creating some truly outlandish results.
- RICHARD MILLE RM 25-01 TOURBILLON ADVENTURE SYLVESTER STALLONE
- This model features a compass with a mirror, a level, a bi-directional ’day’ bezel to get your bearings, a hermetically-sealed cache of water purification tablets, torque indicator, function indicator, power reserve indicator, tourbillon, competition chronograph movement, 24-hour time display and minute display, all in a 50.85mm x 23.65mm diameter case made from carbon TPT and titanium, water-resistant up to 100m. What more could you need?! The watch was developed with Sylvester Stallone and could be yours for a cool 983,000$.
- ZRC NORTH ADVENTURE
- “My equipment is a matter of life and death, and this watch is an essential part of that. For me, it’s a practical tool. I can use it as a compass when the sun is out, a calendar whenever I want and a light when I go diving,” says ice diver and adventurer Alban Michon. Inspired by ZRC’s Grands Fonds model launched at the start of the sixties, this special version was designed in collaboration with the explorer. It’s modest in size, at 40.5mm, but has oversized hands and a large Superluminova regulator. The famous crown at 6 o’clock still appears in this model, and the ETA 2824 movement has been reworked to ensure that it’s still reliable at negative temperatures. The watch also has a uni-directional notched bezel, a reverse winding mechanism and an automatically adjustable “diver” strap. The watch is reviving the great tradition of tool watches. It’s also totally affordable at CHF 2,790.
- VICTORINOX I.N.O.X. CARBON LIMITED EDITION
- The Carbon Limited Edition has a 43-mm matte carbon case that’s 50% lighter and five times stronger than steel. The camoinspired khaki dial and military time display printed in red are covered by a sapphire crystal dome. The watch also features a detachable protective bumper that contains a torch “with a flashing mode to signal your location in the event of danger”. The multi-strand nylon orange paracord straps can, when required, be used as a shoelace. The watch is powered by a quartz movement and the watch comes with a camouflage-print Swiss army knife, all for CHF 995. Bringing adventure right within arm’s reach! Less than 1,000$
- MW&CO ASSET 2.1
- The Asset 2.1 is immediately identifiable by its ‘damper’-style cylinder horns that give the watch its ’tough’ appearance. The ‘dampers’ can be used to adjust the length of the watch for ergonomic comfort and are made from 14 different parts fitted to the nearest micron. The wearer can decide to fit their watch with one or two pairs of ’dampers’, as they wish. The grade-5 titanium case is 15.9mm thick and encloses an automatic flyback chronograph Eterna movement. MW&Co is a young French brand. Their products can be purchased directly from their website. From 10,000 to 20,000$
- LUMINOX CARBONOX+
- Luminox has been using Carbonox since 2006 to make its watches as tough as possible. The introduction of Carbonox+, an ultra-light carbon long bar compound in which carbon fibres account for 40% of the compound, has doubled the watch’s durability and resistance to traction. Stand-alone Luminox Light Technology provides optimum night-time visibility 24/7 for 25 years guaranteed. You can read the time in any imaginable situation— on the water, underwater, on the ground or in the air! Less than 1,000$
- GVCHIANI MASTERBLOCK
- The massive 49mm x 50mm-thick watch is fitted with a unique X-shaped sapphire crystal that looks like it was made just for adventurers. Cryptocurrency adventurers, to be more specific. The DLC titanium case is shaped like a blockchain and the X-shaped dial comes from Bitcoin (XBT); it is adorned with four QR codes, one of which is always decipherable. Even the strap evokes the ’chain’ in the blockchain network. Each Masterblock has its own blockchain address, so every step of production is recorded and every new Masterblock is connected to the previous one, making its own ‘chain’. The real adventurers of the 21st century are in cryptocurrency. From 10,000 to 20,000$
All mentioned prices are indicative and correspond to price segment.
TO READ MORE
Europa Star Watch Curator ’18 is a selection of 147 watches classified under 13 specific trends:
Tourbillons - Globes - Sun, Moon & Stars - Purity - Open-worked - Skulls - Sport - Tough - New displays - Barocco - Vintage & Neo-vintage - Connected - Calibres.