Georges Edouard Piaget set up his first workshop in his parent’s farm in La Côte-aux-Fées, in the Jura mountains, in 1874. At first he produced mechanical watch and clock movements for watchmaking companies. The Piaget brand was not registered until 1943, after which the company began commercialising timepieces under its own name.
Piaget is renowned for the production of ultra-thin mechanical watch movements such as the Piaget Altiplano and as early as 1960 the brand produced the 12P movement, which was a mere 2.3mm thick – the slimmest self-winding movement in the world at the time.
In 1988, Piaget joined the luxury group that would later become the Richemont Group and in 2001 the company opened its new Manufacture de Haute Horlogerie on the outskirts of Geneva to complement its historical workshops in La Côte-aux-Fées.