n 1887, when Eberhard & Co. was founded by Georges-Lucien Eberhard, La Chaux-de-Fonds was already the town that best represented the heart of Swiss watchmaking in the world. The historic Baroque style building, built by the founder and known in the town as “La Maison de l’Aigle”, brought together the watchmaking studios and the family home under one roof. Today Eberhard & Co. has returned to its roots by re-establishing its headquarters within the Maison de l’Aigle.
To celebrate this turning point, Eberhard & Co. inaugurated its first museum and introduced a new, exclusive calibre, the EB140, entirely produced in La Chaux-de-Fonds, as well as the new model destined to house the movement: the Eberhard “1887 Remontage Manuel”.
- The 1887 line has a retro feel, thanks to the “clous de Paris” workmanship and the trapezoidal date window, which was used by Eberhard & Co. for some historical models. The logo on the dial is part of the historical heritage and is documented in the archives of the early 1900s. The sapphire crystal case back is certainly a high point: it proudly shows off the beauty of the EB140 calibre.
The EB140 calibre is a manual winding movement (14’’’- 28,800 vph-18 rubies) with exclusive architecture and special technical and structural specifications. The aesthetic aspect also reveals meticulous attention to detail, particularly the bridge for the balance wheel and the large bridge for the gear trains, distinguished by the traditional “circular wave” finish.
The new “1887” model was designed to express all the potential of this calibre. It is a watch with balanced lines, with a 41.80 mm diameter steel case that leaves ample space for a dial of extreme elegance, available in two versions with gold or rhodium-plated numbers and indices. The look is completed by a Jacquard silk strap, in two different versions to go with the two dials, dedicated to the “dandy” of the new millennium and produced exclusively for Eberhard & Co.