1. 2016? Difficult. To answer that question we need to start with the problems (causes) we’re experiencing every day, which are the kind that take away the desire to reward yourself or others with gifts. But above all, we can’t go on living a carefree life, that’s finished. But people will always have positive image of watches and brands that show substance and credibility will always recover.
2. Consolidation of the current market with a few cases — the United States, for example — where we think we can expand our distribution network. We’re also going to focus more and more attention on the existing models in our collections with suitable communications to back them up, in line with trends.
3. I’m sure that mechanical watches will always remain an exclusive line for people looking for iconic status and the pleasure you can only find in haute horlogerie products.
4. Basel is certainly less crucial than in the past, but it’s still an important event for brands that are looking to constantly strengthen their brand recognition in the watchmaking market.
EUROPA STAR’S FOUR QUESTIONS
1. What are your predictions for 2016? Do you think that exports will recover, or will the markets stagnate or continue to decline after the slump we saw in 2015? And what do you think were the reasons for the downturn in 2015?
2. What are your priorities for the coming year: consolidating your existing markets, actively exploring new markets (if so, which), rationalising / consolidating / expanding your distribution network, launching new products, PR initiatives, etc.?
3. Over the longer term, do you believe that mechanical watchmaking will gradually die out, hybridise, or continue to occupy its own exclusive niche? Do you see the advent of smartwatches as a potential threat, or an opportunity for growth and diversification?
4. What exactly do you hope to achieve from your participation in Baselworld 2016? Do you feel your presence at the fair is essential to your business, or are such forums less important now than they were in the past?