Every second counts, and you can count on Speake-Marin to remind us to live life to the fullest through his latest, limited edition tourbillon model.
Speake-Marin timepieces always have depth. We’re not talking about the architectural depth of the dial here – which is certainly true as well. It’s the philosophical kind of depth.
That’s because there’s always some kind of underlying message or concept behind the watches of the British watchmaker. In this case it’s Memento mori providing the inspiration. It’s a medieval Latin theory of reflection of mortality, which reminds us that life is short and that you have to appreciate every moment that we have.
Reminding us that every minute counts, the brand has already been using a skull motif for years on the dials of its Cabinet des Mystères collection.
The latest addition to that trend is the Skull Face to Face Tourbillon, a highly limited release of only 8 pieces. The unique watch depicts two opposing skulls, illustrating a reflection in time. The very intricate double gold skull engraving has been etched onto the dial using a special chemical technique.
To add a bit more shine, the bezel is also set with 36 baguette diamonds (for 2.16 carats in total). The use of diamonds is not just decorative, but also adds to that depth we’re talking about earlier. Using diamonds is also very intentional, because they represent eternity - “diamonds are forever”, you might recall.
At the 6 o’clock position we have the 60-second Magister Tourbillon. Turning the tourbillon over, we discover a movement featuring hand-finishing, including a platinum micro-rotor that is counterbalanced by the complexity of the tourbillon itself.
Despite the seemingly gloomy dial design of the watch, the overall message is actually quite positive: appreciate every second you have. And with this special skull-themed tourbillon, you can certainly do that.
- MOVEMENT: Calibre SM3, 60 seconds tourbillon, self-winding movement with platinum micro rotor
- INDICATIONS: Central hours and minutes
- POWER RESERVE: about 72 hours
- CASE: Piccadilly case in 18K red gold. Front and back sapphire crystals treated with antireflective coating. Bezel set with 36 baguette diamonds (2.16 cts). Diamond set crown, round cut diamond (0.2cts)
- DIAMETER: 42 mm
- WATER RESISTANCE: 3 bar (30 meters)
- DIAL: Dial made in 18K gold. Finished in 2 tones, set with 8 diamonds. Chemically etched skull.
- HANDS: Central Speake-Marin signature “Foundation” style hands in heat-blued steel
- STRAP: Alligator. Pin buckle in 18K red gold