ew brand S.Craft (standing for for “Sapphire Craft”) introduces its Transparency N°1 model. The timepiece features a solid sapphire 40mm case that has been carefully machined from a single block of sapphire crystal. The aim is to offer full visual access to the multi-level movement, from all possible angles.
Sapphire (known in mineralogical circles as Corundum) is the third hardest material on Earth, only moissanite (9.25) and diamonds (10) exceed its hardness ranking (9) on the Mohs scale. It is almost entirely scratch-proof, and the process by which it is made into a finished watch case is extraordinarily difficult.
For watchmakers, creating a case from a block of sapphire is a true technical challenge. It requires long and complex machining, grinding and polishing processes and superior expertise.
The eye-catching heart of this watch is the skeletonized self-winding ETA movement 2892-A2, which carries a power reserve of approximately 42hours and is beyond any doubts, one of the most reliable and trouble-free movements in the industry.
This movement beats at 28’800 BPH (beats per hour) 4Hz and itis decorated with blued steel screws. It has undergone extensive skeletonizing thus reducing the bridges and main plate to a minimal see-through framework.
The same goes for the rotor which is opened like the rest of the movement to allow a clear view of the wheels and pinions interacting. The movement seats beneath the skeletonized dial displaying the hours with blue indexes and the minutes with blue markers.
The strap is purposely not made using any endangered or exotic species but rather using top grain cowhide leather with crocodile pattern embossing. It also features “quick-click” spring bars so the band can be easily changed (a second band color is available in the gift box with each watch).
The S.Craft “Transparency N°1” if offered at a public price is CHF 12,000, far lower than the industry standard for timepieces equipped with sapphire cases. It is delivered in a gift box with a second strap and a magnifying glass allowing the owner to better see all the details of the skeletonized movement from any angle. The brand has also started a crowdfunding campaign on Indiegogo at a lower price to launch its new model.
- Case • Diameter: 40 mm • Material: scratch-resistant polished sapphire crystal • Middle part case: scratch-resistant polished sapphire crystal • Bezel: scratch-resistant polished sapphire crystal • Back cover: scratch-resistant polished sapphire crystal • Waterproofness: 30 meters (100 feet), 3ATM
- Movement • Caliber ETA 2892-A2 Skeletonized mechanical movement with self-winding bidirectional rotor • Time setting with stop-second • Frequency 28’800 vibrations per hour (4 Hz), 21 jewels, shock ab-sorber incabloc • Regulator system ETACHRON • Functions hours, minutes and central second. • Typical power reserve of approximately 50 hours
- Dial • Skeletonized silver color with brushed finishing • Blue hour indexes with blue minute markers • Blue Hands
- Strap • Top grain cowhide leather with crocodile pattern embossing • Tool-free “quick-click” spring bars • Stainless steel prong buckle
- International guarantee of 5 years
- Recommended retail price: CHF 12,000