t was during the 2000 edition of the Basel fair that Corum first unveiled its Bubble watch. With an oversized case and huge domed crystal, the Bubble was the brainchild of the legendary Severin Wunderman, then owner of the brand. Now, 21 years after its unveiling, Corum is launching the new Bubble with the new X Ray watch, inspired by early designs.
Among the first Bubble watches to make their debut in 2000 was a watch with a stylized skull on the dial. Wunderman, who had just bought the brand, was also obsessed with life, death and the concept of Dia de Muertos, a celebration where friends and family gather to honor the dead in a festive manner.
- An interview with Severin Wunderman after he bought Corum in 2000 in Europa Star
- ©Europa Star 2000
A self-made success who had been hidden in a school for the blind during the Nazi occupation of Poland, and then at the age of 10 immigrated to Los Angeles in the United States, Wunderman savored the unusual and unconventional. His goal with the Bubble was to disrupt the watch world and make a new statement. Corum was the perfect brand for him to do that with, as it had been a leader in creating extraordinary collections ever since its founding in 1955.
When the 44mm Bubble was released, Wunderman said he was inspired by an experimental diving watch from the 1960’s that had an enormous, curved glass. He paired that domed look, which also had some distorting effects, with creative themed dials, and the rest, as they say, is history.
- Just launched: the new Bubble watch by Corum in 2000 in Europa Star
- ©Europa Star 2000
Purposely designed to be different, to make a real individualistic statement, the Bubble fast became a new millennium icon, with a variety of intriguing renditions released over the years. They included playful, sometimes mischievous themes that ranged from the Bubble Jolly Roger, to Bubble Lucifer, Bats, Nightflyer and more. Intermittently, throughout the past six years, Corum also entered into collaborations with various renowned artists for Bubble watches.
- An interview with Severin Wunderman after the launch of the Bubble in Europa Star
- ©Europa Star 2001
Now, to honor both the coming of age of this iconic timepiece, and the dynamic man behind it, Corum releases a limited-edition watch with the same signature elements that made the Bubble famous, but with a contemporary and creative touch.
The Bubble X Ray pays tribute to the line’s roots with a highly stylized yet realistic looking skull taking center stage on the dial. While the huge domed sapphire crystal slightly distorts the image, it is fully visible in the dark because it is totally luminescent: disruptive in day and at night. In fact, when the lights go out, the skull glows green for an eerie yet provocative appeal. Bringing the luminescence full circle, Corum adds fluorescent green stitching to the synthetic alligator-like strap that is lined with rubber.
- A new series of Bubble watches was introduced twenty years ago exactly, in 2001: the model has the advantage of being very versatile.
- ©Europa Star 2001
The watch is powered by an automatic movement (CO 082) that beats at 4Hz and offers 42 hours of power reserve. It is crafted in stainless steel with a black PVD treatment over it and boasts a sapphire case back for viewing of the movement. Both the domed front crystal and the back crystal are coated with an anti-reflective treatment. Water resistant to 100 meters, the 47mmm case offers hours, minutes and seconds and is being created in a limited edition of just 88 pieces.
- A testimony to its success? Two years after its launch, Bubble’s counterfeits were already spotted on the market...
- ©Europa Star 2002
Crafted with the same attention to detail and top-notch watchmaking, the Bubble X Ray perfectly embraces the original concept of the Bubble: daring, different, and designed for those who enjoy making their own distinctive statement. The X Ray is the first of several soon-to-come new Bubble watches.
- Movement number CO 082
- Winding system: Automatic
- Functions: Hour & Minute • Second
- Power reserve: 42 hours
- Frequency: 4 Hz, 28’800 vph
- Dimension: 11 1/2’’’
- Rubies: 25
- Colours: Black
- Material: Brass + sapphire discs
- Distinctive features: Luminescent skull pattern
- Shape: Round
- Dimension: 47 mm
- Thickness: 18.50 mm
- Case material: Stainless steel with black PVD treatment
- Bezel material: Stainless steel with black PVD treatment
- Crystal: Domed sapphire crystal with antireflective treatment
- Back type: Screwed in open back cover in stainless steel with black PVD treatment with glare proof sapphire crystal
- Water-resistance: 100 meters / 10 ATM
- Hour and minute: Leaf
- Material: Synthetic, rubber lining
- Colours: Black with fluorescent green stitchings
- Interhorn/Buckle: 24/20 mm
- Buckle type: Tongue buckle
- Buckle material: Stainless steel with black PVD treatment