yrus Geneva, renowned for its timepieces characterised by an atypical 3D architecture and innovative movements conceived by master watchmaker Jean-François Mojon, supports the 9th edition of the charity auction Only Watch for the benefit of research into Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy with the unique piece “Klepcys Dice Only Watch”, a brand-new model featuring a double independent monopusher chronograph.
The event, under the patronage of his Serene Highness Prince Albert II of Monaco and its founder and organiser Luc Pettavino, will take place on November 6th 2021 – under the hammer of Christie’s – at the Four Seasons Hotel des Bergues in Geneva.
The term Dice is the acronym of Double Independent Chronograph Evolution. As its name indicates, it is an evolution of the traditional chronograph. Master watchmaker, Jean-François Mojon, has transformed it into a double chronograph capable of measuring two short intervals of time independently or in synchrony. However, it should not be confused with the rattrapante version, where the two hands track the time of two events that start simultaneously but end at different times or indicate an intermediate elapsed time.
The motivation behind the creation of Klepcys Dice Only Watch comes directly from the world of sports. As Jean-François Mojon explains: “This modern chronograph is the result of a deep reflection on the role of timing in sports competitions. In many sports, it is often important to measure elapsed times with different starting times. This occurs, for example, in races like marathons or biathlons where athletes do not cross the starting line at the same time or in car rallies, where it is common to use two independent chronographs. Klepcys Dice Only Watch facilitates this operation thanks to the two monopusher crowns, which are essential to avoid any unwanted manipulation.”
The unique piece Klepcys Dice Only Watch comes in a 42 mm cushion-shaped case made of polished/satin-brushed grade 5 titanium and is water-resistant to 10 ATM/100 m. The twin crowns, a peculiar code of Cyrus, are equipped with a pusher that sets the three chronograph functions (start/stop/reset). Both are fully functional, embellished with the brand’s helix logo, and distinguished by either an orange or yellow anodised aluminium ring to select which chronograph is going to be activated.
Yellow and orange are the colors that become the protagonists of the aesthetics of the Klepcys Dice Only Watch, designed as a tribute to the logo that distinguishes this respected event.
The open-worked architecture allows the view of the prestigious mechanics that powers Klepcys Dice Only Watch and highlights the two column wheels on the dial. Picked out in orange and yellow lacquer, they are placed at 12 and 6 o’clock, respectively. The unusual arrangement of the chronograph mechanism on the dial side reveals the motion of the finely decorated wheels, levers and gears mounted on a double mainplate with a black microbeaded PVD treatment.
A host of sapphire crystal elements on the dial offer an unhindered view of this extraordinary calibre. The large sapphire crystal ring with bevelled and polished profile corresponding to the time is anti-reflective and features Arabic numerals in relief with white Super-LumiNova that emits a blue glow.
The dimensions of the small seconds at 9 o’clock and the 30-minute counter at 3 o’clock are generous to enhance legibility and surmounted by two orange lacquered bridges. Both counters are crafted in smoked sapphire crystal, framed in orange as well as the indices, and fixed to a bridge carved in the shape of Cyrus’s logo. The rhodium-plated microbeaded helix is decorated with circular satin finish and doubles up as an original seconds hand with a luminescent tip.
The 30-minute chronograph counter at 3 o’clock – the star function of Klepcys Dice Only Watch – is equipped with two vertically aligned hands in orange and yellow. Thanks to the bright colours, reading the two elapsed times is instantaneous. The independent hands track a graduated scale with markers at 15 and 30 minutes in alternating orange and yellow. The same orange and yellow colour scheme is used for the two central seconds hands, each measuring a different length.
The reason that the hands differ in length is because they track the seconds on a slightly conic flange printed with two parallel scales graduated every 5 seconds and picked out in orange and yellow. Mirroring the position of the hands on the 30-minute counter, the longer orange central seconds hand measures time on the outermost scale and returns to zero at 12 o’clock; the shorter yellow hand tracks the innermost yellow scale and returns to zero at 6 o’clock.
Klepcys Dice Only Watch is powered by the new 443-component CYR718 self-winding manufacture calibre featuring two independent chronograph movements and two display axes: one corresponds to the chronograph seconds and the second to the 30-minute counter of the double chronograph. The chronographs are activated by two column wheels, which in turn activate the different levers and couplings that move the seconds and 30-minute chronograph display.
The activation of chronograph levers generates considerable shocks and dispersion of energy, especially during the return-to-zero phase when the hammer on the heart cam is activated. Thanks to a special system of insulation, which ensures precision measurements for the duration of the event, these shocks have no repercussions on the display of the functions. In short, the two chronographs function independently without exerting any influence on one another.
The motion work mechanism that allows the display of hours and minutes also required special attention. Conventionally, this mechanism is composed of several gears placed on different rotational axes. However, to free up as much space as possible for the dual chronograph complication, Mojon came up with a concentric mechanism for the motion work. Not only is the mechanism more compact, but it is coaxial to the axes of the hands.
Two mainplates were required for this innovative mechanism. Treated with black microbeaded PVD, the 218 components of the additional module corresponding to the two independent chronographs are mounted on the two mainplates.
It is worth noting that since the chronograph mechanism is visible on the dial side, the movement has been reversed. Its symmetrical design offers a fascinating view of the two column wheels that are the “heart” of this complication.
Automatic manufacture calibre CYR718 beats at 28,800 vibrations/hour and is equipped with a single barrel offering 60 hours of autonomy at full charge. Furthermore, the balance wheel is protected by an Incabloc shock protection system.
Thanks to a sapphire glass case back, the decorative flourishes on the NAC-treated bridges of the calibre can be admired. Decorated with a slightly embossed sunray pattern, the bridges display satin-brushed and polished surfaces. The design of the open-worked monobloc rotor is new and features a galvanic grey NAC coating and a sunray finish. The rotor is engraved with the motto “The Conquest of Innovation” and adorned with an 18k 4N gold helix.
The ring surrounding the sapphire crystal, sealed with customised screws with the Maison’s three-armed helix logo, is engraved with the inscription Only Watch.
Klepcys Dice Only Watch is presented with an orange Cordura fabric strap with a titanium folding clasp and is delivered with an additional black rubber strap.
• Manufacture self-winding movement, calibre CYR718 • Dimensions: 36.00 mm Ø x 11.65 mm thickness • Components: 443 total - 218 correspond to the chronograph module • Number of Jewels: 51 total - 17 correspond to the chronograph module • Annular balance wheel • Frequency : 4 Hz • Vibrations per hour: 28,800 • Swiss lever escapement • Rhodium-plated barrel with snailed ratchet wheel, Cyrus logo and inscription filled with black lacquer • Power reserve: 60 hours • Bridges: grey anthracite NAC galvanic treatment, decorated with slightly embossed sunray pattern with satin and microbeaded finishing • New open-worked monobloc rotor with a sunray pattern, engraved with “The Conquest of Innovation”, open-worked central medallion with Cyrus helix logo in 18K 4N gold
• Central hours and minutes • Small seconds at 9 o’clock • 30-minute counter of the double independent chronograph at 3 o’clock, double hands in orange and yellow • Two central chronograph hands; orange hand resets-to-zero at 12 o’clock, yellow hand resets at 6 o’clock
• Cushion-shaped case made of 26 parts in polished/satin-brushed grade 5 titanium • Diameter: 42 mm excluding the crowns • Thickness: 16.5 mm • Crown at 3 o’clock: position 1 to wind the movement; position 2 to adjust time + pusher for activation of chronograph No. 1 (start-stop-reset) • Crown at 9 o’clock: pusher to activate chronograph No. 2 (start-stop-reset) • Decoration of crowns: engraved Cyrus logo, black rubber ring embossed with grooves and orange anodised aluminium ring on crown at 3 o’clock corresponding to chronograph No. 1; yellow anodised aluminium ring at 9 o’clock corresponding to chronograph No. 2 • Sapphire crystal on dial side: anti-reflective treatment on both sides • Case back: sapphire crystal, sealed with customised screws with Cyrus, engraved with the logo • Water-resistance: 10 ATM (100 m – 330 ft)
• 3D open-worked dial • Microbeaded black PVD mainplate • Sapphire crystal hour ring with anti-reflective treatment on both sides, bevelled and polished edges, Arabic numerals with white Super-LumiNova with blue light emissions • Minute markers on black PVD flange placed at 5-minute intervals, treated with white Super-LumiNova with blue glow • Flange with double scale corresponding to chronograph with 5-minute intervals in orange and yellow • Small seconds counter at 9 o’clock: smoked anti-reflective sapphire crystal, orange lacquered Arabic numerals at 15-second intervals surmounted by a microblasted rhodium-plated ring, helix small seconds hand with luminescent tip (white Super-LumiNova with blue glow) • 30-minute counter at 3 o’clock: smoked anti-reflective sapphire crystal, luminescent markers at 5-minute intervals, two hands in orange and yellow with double indications at 15/30 minutes in same colour corresponding to the two independent chronographs • Lacquered column wheels: orange at 12 o’clock and yellow at 6 o’clock • Open-worked hour and minute hands, rhodium-plated with polished edges, treated with white Super-LumiNova with blue glow • Central chronograph seconds hands: orange hand with reset at 12 o’clock, yellow with reset at 6 o’clock
• Orange Cordura fabric strap with folding clasp in titanium, customised with Cyrus logo • Additional black rubber strap