irst created in 1951, Orient Star has dedicated itself to producing high-quality made in Japan watches. The Diver 1964 model reflects this history, reproducing the original design of the Olympia Calendar Diver model, released in 1964, with an upgrade to contemporary diver’s watch specifications. This model combines a vintage design with Orient Star’s latest high-performance in-house movement.
Sporty, relaxed styling has a broad appeal regardless of age, and divers’ watches and vintage designs have become a worldwide trend. The Diver 1964 is based on the Olympia Calendar Diver launched in 1964 after several years of development work for divers’ models that started from the early 1960s. It joins the Orient Star Sports Collection, established in 2019.
The Diver 1964 reproduces the same features of the original model: a rotating bezel made of solid stainless steel, three-dimensionally cut indices, an arrow-shaped hand, and a case shape with sharp lugs, while offering significantly improved water resistance compared to the original model’s 40 meters. This new model’s water resistance has been upgraded to 200 meters - compliant with ISO standards for air diving watches. Refined qualities such as a screw down crown and screw case back, a dual curved sapphire crystal with a non-reflective coating, are also required to meet the standard of authentic divers’ watches.
The mechanical movement has also been upgraded. In contrast to the hand-wound movement in the original 1964 model, this new model has a contemporary automatic movement for increased usability. This in-house caliber F6N47 provides stable high accuracy and 50-hour power reserve. Another new feature is the indicator which shows the power reserve’s remaining running time. Most Orient Star models come with a power reserve indicator as standard, however it’s rare to find this feature on divers‘ watches.
The comparatively compact 40.2 mm diameter case, the pure steel colored rotating bezel, and the black dial create an understated look, making it ideal for everyday use. The metal bracelet uses the same high-quality stainless steel (SUS316L) as the case, providing a substantial presence and a comfortable fit. The trifold clasp comes with push button, security latch and divers’ extension, making the watch practical to use for sports activities and urban life.
The Diver 1964 model is available in a worldwide limited edition of 500 pieces and each watch has a serial number engraved on the case back.
- Movement: Automatic (with hand winding) mechanical in-house caliber F6N47 made in Japan
- Power reserve: 50 hours
- Accuracy: ＋25 seconds ～ －15 seconds per day
- Case material: Stainless steel (SUS316L)
- Case size: 40.2 mm / thickness 14.5 mm
- Case back: Limited edition and serial number engraving
- Glass Front: dual curved sapphire crystal (AR (anti-reflective) coating)
- Strap: Stainless steel (SUS316L) / trifold deployant buckle with push button and security latch, diver’s extension / width 20 mm
- Colour of dial: Black
- Limited edition; 500 limited editions
- Other features: Air Diver’s 200 m (ISO standard), power reserve indicator, second hand hacking, 22 jewels, Luminous Light, date, uni-directional rotating bezel