ith the first DS-2 from 1968, Certina began a new chapter in the making of extremely reliable watches, taking up the very successful – and exceptionally stylish – story that had begun nine years earlier with the DS-1. The DS-2 earned high marks, as it does today, for its tonneau-shaped case, “an ellipse capped at both ends”, as the 1968 product presentation put it. The soft corners and edges are combined with a round dial and sapphire crystal.
The new DS-2 is available in four versions, with dials in matt black and satin-brushed silver, blue or black. Rectangular hands and indexes with Super-LumiNova highlighting underscore the vintage look of the watch. The stainless steel case (width 40mm, length 38 mm) is worn on a Milanese mesh bracelet or a NATO strap made of #tide ocean material®, which is based on plastics fished from the ocean.
Though there’s a striking external resemblance to the older version, the interior of the new DS-2 is clearly an original piece of work. The current model features a state-of-the-art automatic movement with up to 80 hours of power reserve and an anti-magnetic NivachronTM balance spring – clearly visible through the sapphire crystal case back – that reliably drives the hours, minutes and second hands, along with the date display at 3 o’clock. Thanks to the screw-down crown and Double Security (DS) system, the watch is water-resistant to 20 bar (200 m).
- ETA Powermatic 80.611 automatic movement with Nivachron™ balance spring
- Swiss Made
- Hours, minutes, seconds, date
- Power reserve: 80 hours
- Polished/satin-brushed stainless steel 316L, tonneau-shaped, 40 x 38 mm
- Screw-down crown
- Screw-in sapphire crystal case back
- Hands and indexes with Super-LumiNova® coating
- Date at 3 o’clock
- Up to a pressure of 20 bar (200 m)
- Sapphire crystal, anti-reflective on one side
- Anthracite-coloured fabric strap made from #tide ocean material®
- Pin buckle
- DS (Double Security), after the historical model, anti-magnetic Nivachron™ balance spring
Reference / Price:
- C024.407.18.031.00 Satin-brushed silvery dial, anthracite-coloured fabric strap Switzerland CHF 860
- C024.407.18.041.00 Satin-brushed dark blue dial, dark blue fabric strap Switzerland CHF 860
- C024.407.18.081.00 Satin-brushed black dial, anthracite-coloured fabric strap Switzerland CHF 860
- C024.407.11.051.00 Black lacquer dial, Milanese bracelet in stainless steel Switzerland CHF 925