essence’s Type 5 AIT (Art In Time) is a limited edition created in collaboration with Art In Time in Monaco. An extension of the Type 5 dive watch, the timepiece is defined by its bold, organic case, oil filled dial, clear legibility and ruggedized bezel. It will also undoubtably be recognised for its vibrant yellow notes on the dial, markers, and bezel.
Eleven watches are available exclusively at Art In Time. A twelfth watch with the distinctive yellow Ressence logo will be sold at a charity event in September, with all proceeds going to the Fondation Prince Albert II de Monaco. In June 2006 HSH Prince Albert II of Monaco decided to set up a Foundation dedicated to protecting the environment and promoting sustainable development at local and global level.
Since then, active all over the world, the Prince Albert II of Monaco Foundation has sought to bring together scientists, political leaders and economic and civil society stakeholders behind a vital objective for our future – protecting the ocean and the land. The Foundation’s long-term action has led to some encouraging victories being won, whether in safeguarding endangered species or improving living conditions in rural communities by implementing new sustainable and ethical solutions.
The Pelagos Sanctuary is a marine territory of 87,500 km2 in the waters of the Principality of Monaco, France and Italy, the three states being signatories of the Pelagos Agreement. The sanctuary is home to a remarkable biodiversity, with many species of marine mammals such as dolphins, cachalots, and fin whales. The Prince Albert II of Monaco Foundation, the WWF, the IUCN and MedPAN have joined forces to create the Pelagos Initiative to support the protection of this unique area. This commitment of civil society aims to fund activities for the protection, conservation and promotion of the Sanctuary, in accordance with the management plan of the Pelagos Agreement.
All proceeds from the sale of this very special limited-edition watch will go to the foundation.
The case of the watch is crafted entirely in grade five titanium, which contributes to its light weight in the hand and on the wrist (with the strap included, the watch weighs just 85 grams). The tapered case has a sandwich-style construction with a two-tone finish, showcasing both polished and satin finishing textures.
Dial side, the hours’ disc (adorned with our logo) has a yellow index at the hour that the watch corresponds to. This will be unique to the owner. Below the oil-filled upper chamber is an air-filled lower chamber that houses the bespoke mechanical auto-winding movement. Seven bellows compensate for the expansion and contraction of the oil in the upper chamber as temperatures change. The use of oil has one ultimate advantage: it cancels out what is known as Total Internal Reflection. Typically, under water, a traditional diver’s watch needs to be viewed straight on in order to be read properly - otherwise refraction turns the glass into a mirror. But not with the oil-filled Type 5. The use of oil ensures complete legibility whatever the angle of view. A first for a mechanical watch.
The rear-mounted crown deploys the Ressence Compression Lock System (RCLS), a mechanism which closes the gasket sealing of the lower air chamber when the crown is pushed back into its resting position.
● Hours ● Minutes ● Runner (90 seconds) ● Oil temperature
● Patented ROCS 5 - Ressence Orbital Convex System - driven by the minute axle ofa specially customised 2824/2 base calibre ● Caseback winding and time setting with RCLS – Ressence Compression Lock System ● Magnetic Transmission ● Compensating Bellow System for the oil (7 Bellows) ● Self-winding ● 36 hours power reserve ● 28,800 vibrations per hour ● 41 jewels ● 25 gears
● Convex grade 5 titanium dial (125mm radius) with 3 eccentric biaxial satellites inclined at 3° (hours), 4.75° (thermal gauge and runner) ● Engraved indications filled with Superluminova
● Grade 5 titanium ● Two separate sealed chambers with the upper one filled with 3.57 ml of oil ● Domed sapphire crystals top and bottom with both sides anti-reflective coating ● Uni-directional bezel ● 46mm (diameter) x 15.5 mm (thickness) ● 10 ATM water-resistance
Buckle & Strap
● Polished Ardillon Buckle in grade 5 titanium ● Yellow premium rubber strap (24/24mm)
● 85 grams including strap
● EUR 35,500 (all taxes included)