ounded in 2018 by Lionel Bruneau, Ultramarine presents several “firsts” with the launch of its Beluga timepiece. Not only is it the brand’s very first diver’s watch, but it is also the first Ultramarine model to be equipped with the COSC automatic calibre 5402 from the prestigious movement manufacturer Kenissi, renowned for its reliability and precision.
The timeless design of the new Beluga, conceived to last and taking into account the feedback from its community of aficionados, respects the codes of the most luxurious models on the market, notably the high-end finishes. Available with a blue, ice blue or black dial, it is water-resistant to 300m, has a unidirectional rotating bezel and, like all Ultramarine watches, bears the “I.O.E.S.” label, which stands for “Intégralement Ouvré en Suisse” - meaning “Fully Manufactured In Switzerland”.
- Equipped with the Kenissi calibre 5402 COSC, the Ultramarine Beluga holds the “I.O.E.S.” label, that stands for “Intégralement Ouvré en Suisse” meaning “Fully Manufactured In Switzerland”, in accordance with the philosophy of the independent brand.
Hence a creation as special and rare as the white whales that inspired its name. Extreme hunting under the ice pack, when belugas need to breathe, has endangered the species, whose habitat is shrinking. For this occasion, Ultramarine is also unveiling an additional, limited edition in collaboration with the NGO Sea Shepherd, active in the defence of the oceans.
This edition, available in 100 numbered pieces at a price of 3,250 euros (excluding VAT), is adorned with the coat of arms of these famous ocean-protecting “pirates”, both on its black dial and on its screw-down back. A large part of this amount - 800 euros per watch - will be donated to the association.
- Ultramarine is also unveiling an extra, limited edition in collaboration with NGO Sea Sheperd.
At the beginning of the Ultramarine adventure, there was the observation of Lionel Bruneau, a watchmaking enthusiast, that the legendary Swiss watchmaking industry, renowned for its age-old know-how combining authenticity, quality, precision and prestige, sometimes unfortunately had a tendency to lose its way and forget its fundamentals.
Seeing that this observation was shared by many other enthusiasts, both Swiss and non-Swiss, in 2018 he created a new watch brand whose mission is to review the rules of the game and dare to restore the authenticity of Swiss watchmaking at an affordable price. Unlike many of its competitors, the brand refuses to outsource part of its production to China.
“Everyone told me that it was impossible to make 100% Swiss-made watches in small series at a reasonable price,” says the designer. But “hearing that it is impossible is a powerful boost”, he continues. A challenge that has now become a reality and will soon enter its fifth year!
- Available with blue, ice blue or black dial, the Ultramarine Beluga is water resistant to 300m.
- Label I.O.E.S. (Intégralement Ouvré en Suisse’, meaning ‘Fullly Manufactured in Switzerland’)
- Case: 316L steel, 40mm, 13.5mm thick, alternating polished and satin finishes
- Back: 316L steel, screwed and engraved, decorated with a couple of diving belugas
- Dial: “sunray brushing finish and pad-printed, with logo and applied indexes coated with Superluminova BGW9
- Movement: Kenissi 5402-01, 26mm x 5mm, chronometer (COSC certified), 28,800 vph (4 Hz), automatic winding, 27 ruby
- Power reserve: 70h
- Winding crown: screwed, and adorned with the ULTRAMARINE logo
- Crystal: domed sapphire
- Bezel: unidirectional rotating in domed sapphire with SL BGW9 indexes
- Strap: 20/18 mm with steel pin buckle decorated with the Ultramarine logo
- Water resistance: 300m
- Series: not limited but all watches are numbered and, as far as possible, the purchaser can request a particular number
- Price: 3,250 EUR excl. VAT
- Warranty: 3 years