ome four ice ages ago, an iron meteorite blasted into the Earth’s atmosphere and slammed into a 25 x 15 kilometer area that sits north of the Arctic circle, centered at 67°49’ N, 23°9’ E in what is now northern Scandinavia. Besides their remote location, finding these meteorite fragments is extremely difficult as the ground is completely frozen solid most of the year, and the area is also covered in 24 hours of darkness for several months at a time.
To make a dial from this unique extraterrestrial material, special machining and treatments are required to reveal the distinct characteristics of this ancient iron-based meteorite. The beautiful equilateral triangles that create the naturally-occurring Widmanstätten pattern are the result of a very slow cooling process that takes place over the course of millions of years, during which the crystalline structure of the minerals within the core of the asteroid changes.
After being cut and treated, the final product is a perfectly flat disc that measures just 0.65mm thick and perfectly showcases the natural pattern of the meteorite. Since the textures are organic and cannot be artificially reproduced, each individual dial will appear slightly different, making every single watch a completely unique piece.
The new Formex Essence Space Rock Limited Edition watches are available as both the 39mm Essence ThirtyNine with a 316L stainless steel case, or as the 40% lighter Essence Leggera FortyOne, which features a 41mm carbon fiber composite case that is fitted with a scratch-resistant ceramic bezel and crown. Formex introduced the larger 43mm versions with meteorite dials back in April 2020, which were limited to 50 pieces and sold out within just a few days. These smaller case sizes are Formex’s best- sellers and they are explicitly intended to be unisex watches. Applied indices with mirror are deep-filled with brightly glowing Super-LumiNova®.
Driving the hands of both Formex Essence Space Rock Limited Edition watches is a Swiss Made, COSC-Certified Chronometer Sellita SW200-1 self-winding movement with an extended power reserve of approximately 41 hours. We’ve chosen the highest quality “Chronometer” grade because it offers premium components not found on the standard versions of this caliber, such as a Glucydur balance wheel, which is exceptionally hard and stable, in addition to being highly resistant to deformation, non-magnetic, and also non-corrosive.
The fully-decorated automatic movement features thermally blued screws, and it is wound by Formex’s custom-built skeletonized rotor. Each one of these movements is independently certified by the COSC (the official Swiss Chronometer Testing Institute) and undergoes the meticulous 15-day rate test to ensure extraordinary levels of mechanical accuracy, reliability, and precision.
In addition to contributing to their signature visual appeal, the details on the Essence Space Rock Limited Edition watches also serve a purpose. For a timepiece to be well-suited for all occasions, it needs to feel exceptionally comfortable on the wrist. Both versions of the Space Rock Limited Edition feature Formex’s patented Case Suspension System and a deployant clasp made from lightweight carbon fiber, which features a unique gradual fine-adjustment system that is capable of perfectly adapting to the ever- changing size of a person’s wrist due to factors such as heat and humidity.
All straps, including the optional stainless steel bracelet, can be changed within seconds and without the use of any tools by using their built-in quick release systems. Additionally, the bracelet features screwed links, a new 1.5x link for additional sizing options, plus a unique micro-extension system to match the industry-leading comfort of our leather, rubber, and nylon watch straps.
The Formex Essence Thirty-Nine Space Rock and Essence Leggera FortyOne Space Rock watches are available at the Formex Online Boutique and at selected partners. Prices start at $1,650.00 for the Essence 39mm in stainless steel and $1,850.00 for the Essence Leggera 41mm in carbon fiber and ceramic, with shipping, taxes, and duties included for most countries. Owners can select their preferred serial number at the time of purchase, and delivery of all Formex Essence Space Rock Limited Edition watches scheduled to take place by the end of January 2023.
Formex CEO Raphael Granito said of the launch: “Our sporty yet elegant designs combined with genuine, user-oriented features are convincing and word gets around. For example, our case suspension is not a gimmick, but immediately noticeable when wearing the watch on the wrist. Also, our patented carbon folding clasp can be quickly and finely adjusted on the wrist without even having to take the watch off. With our Space Rock LE in a smaller, more wearable size, you can carry a piece of billion-year old history on your wrist, while keeping track of your personal time. The incredibly ancient dial, combined with the Essence’s modern and elegant design, create a very unique look and feel that is enticing every time you see it.”
- Essence: Stainless steel 316L with titanium grade 2 container
- Essence Leggera: Carbon fiber composite with titanium grade 2 container
- Case back: Scratch-resistant sapphire crystal
- Essence: Stainless steel 316L
- Essence Leggera: Scratch-resistant Zirconium oxide ceramic
- Meteorite dial. Formex icon and hour markers filled with Super-LumiNova® BGW9
- Filled with Super-LumiNova® BGW9
- COSC-certified Sellita SW200-1 Automatic movement, fully decorated with a custom made skeletonized rotor. 26 jewels, frequency 28’800 A/h (4 Hz), 41h power reserve
- Essence: Stainless steel bracelet with screwed links and stainless steel buckle with patented 4mm micro extension. Italian leather straps or black rubber strap with carbon fiber composite clasp with patented gradual 7mm fine adjustment system.
- Essence Leggera: Black NATO strap by WatchGecko with pin buckle. Italian leather straps, Nylon straps or black rubber strap with carbon fiber composite clasp with patented gradual 7mm fine adjustment system. All straps and the bracelet can be changed using a patented Quick Release system and does not require the use of any tools.
- COSC (Contrôle Officiel Suisse des Chronomètres)
- Essence 39 mm: $1,650.00 on leather/rubber strap with deployant clasp
- Essence 39 mm: $1,750.00 on stainless steel bracelet
- Essence Leggera 41 mm: $1,850.00 on black NATO strap with pin buckle
- Essence Leggera 41 mm: $1,990.00 on leather/nylon/rubber strap with deployant clasp
- Limited to 88 pieces each
- Delivery estimated in late January 2023