eiko introduces a new movement in the long-trusted 6R family that has a GMT function and a power reserve extended to a full 72 hours. Caliber 6R54 is presented in three new Prospex creations that are all modern re-interpretations of a Seiko classic from 1968.
The GMT hand can be set independently in one-hour increments without interrupting the time-of-day hands and allows the wearer to see, at a glance, the time in a second time zone. All three watches are water resistant to 200 meters, have Lumibrite on the hands and all 12 markers, and feature a unidirectional bezel with a luminous pip. Each is presented on a new three-link stainless steel bracelet with a slim profile that allows it to sit securely and comfortably on the wrist.
Alongside the classically styled green and black creations, which join the main Prospex collection, there is also a limited-edition watch that celebrates the 110th anniversary of Seiko’s, and Japan’s, first wristwatch.
Distinguished by an intricately textured ice-blue dial, this watch captures the power of the polar glaciers that shape the landscapes and seascapes of the Arctic and Antarctic, where Seiko’s reputation for reliable and durable watches was forged in the 1960s and ‘70s, when adventurers and researchers wore them on expeditions to the North and South Poles.
The limited edition watch shares the same case and bracelet with the other two creations, but it comes with an additional strap made entirely of recycled plastic bottles. It was created using a traditional Japanese braiding technique called Seichu.
The watch with the ice-blue dial is part of the Save the Ocean series, which is made in support of the Seiko Prospex mission to contribute to a greater understanding of the world’s oceans and their preservation.
All three watches will be available at the Seiko Boutiques and select retail stores worldwide from June 2023.
- Caliber 6R54
- Driving system: Automatic
- Frequency: 21,600 vibrations per hour (6 beats per second)
- Power reserve: 72 hours
- Number of jewels: 24
- Diameter: 27.4mm, Thickness: 5.3mm
- GMT function / Independent 24-hour hand adjustment function
- Stainless steel case and bracelet with super-hard coating
- Sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating
- -Screw-down crown, screw case back
- Bezel with ceramic insert
- Lumibrite on hands and indexes
- Water resistance: 200m
- Magnetic resistance: 4,800 A/m
- Diameter: 42.0mm, Thickness: 12.9mm
- Stainless steel bracelet with three-fold clasp with push button release, secure lock, and extender
- Additional recycled polyester strap included (SPB385)
- Recommended retail prices in Europe: €1,700 (SPB381, SPB383), €1,900 (SPB385)
- Limited Edition of 4,000 (SPB385)