essence’s oil-filled Type 3 welcomes a striking Eucalyptus Green design within its core range. Forward-thinking, highly legible, and now refreshingly colourful, the Type 3 EE appeals at first glance.
The Type 3 EE adds a statement colour to a statement watch. With its cool undertones, this soft green hue gives the award-winning Type 3 an unconventional feel, evocative of lush forests and outdoor living.
“It wouldn’t be Ressence’s year of colour without introducing a new shade to the Type 3 core range," says Benoît Mintiens, Founder of Ressence. “This new Eucalyptus Green Type 3 is truly reminiscent of a precious mineral. Holding and wearing a Ressence has never been more akin to experiencing the serene feel of a polished stone’s smooth surface.”
Beyond the new colour, the Type 3 EE introduces new details. The hour disc has been graphically simplified with indexes every two hours. Weekend days and oil temperature indications present new pastel tones.
The new Eucalyptus Green watch perfectly complements both the existing Type 3 Black and White watches and will be available worldwide from early October 2023, via Ressence’s official retailer network.
When launched in 2013, the Type 3 took the watch industry by surprise as the first ever oil-filled mechanical watch. It was awarded the “Horological Revelation” Prize by the prestigious GPHG the same year. Drawing on the inherent qualities of Ressence’s crown-free case design, the edge-to-edge sapphire crystal found on both front and back of the forward-thinking TYPE 3 resembles a perfectly smooth and natural-looking pebble, making it as satisfying in the hand as on the wrist.
The Type 3 engages with physics like no other watch has before. It cancels out the distortion caused by the refraction of light, ensuring exceptional readability from any angle. The explanation lies in its upper chamber, which is flooded with 3.57ml of oil, creating a magnified projection effect that gives the illusion of information displayed directly on the glass. As a result of this revolutionary technology, the Ressence Type 3 provides a crystal-clear display that remains easy to read, regardless of the lighting conditions, even in the dark. This is made possible not only by the oil-filled chamber but also by filling all engraved indications with 100% grade A Super-LumiNova.
While the oil provides a clear and magnified display, it is also sensitive to temperature variations. To compensate for the oil’s expansion or contraction under varying thermal conditions, Ressence has developed an innovative and state-of-the-art Bellow System. It is a self-equilibrating pressure-balance system that maintains an even pressure and prevents any negative impact on performance. The Bellow System is graphically represented by a temperature gauge on the dial, adding a unique and visually striking element to both the Type 3 and the Type 5.
Another benefit of the oil-filled chamber is that all parts of the ROCS are constantly lubricated, resulting in very low friction. The relative weight of the ball bearings is also reduced and in turn reduces the effort the movement has to provide.
• Runner 180” • Minutes • Hours • Days of the week • Date • Oil temperature
• Patented ROCS 3 – Ressence Orbital Convex System driven by a customised 2824/2 calibre • Magnetic transmission with magnetic conductors • Compensating Bellow System for constant oil pressure • Self-winding • 36 hours power reserve • 28,800 vibrations per hour • 44 gears • 47 jewels • 4 ball bearings
• Convex grade 5 titanium discs (125mm radius) with 4 eccentric biaxial satellites inclined at 3° (hours), 4,75° (oil temperature and days of the week) and 6,25° (runner)
• Engraved indications filled with green grade A Super-LumiNova
• Polished grade 5 titanium • Double-domed sapphire crystal top and bottom with anti-reflective coating inside • Two separate sealed chambers with upper half filled with 3.57ml of oil • Manual winding over 12° and set-up via case back (crownless) Rotating two directions • 44 mm (diameter) x 15mm (thickness) • 1 ATM splash-resistance
Buckle & Strap
• 22mm/22mm • Titanium ardillon buckle • Honeycomb strap
• 387 components / 79 grams
• CHF38,200 (excluding taxes)