Seeing them in their display cases one can’t help feeling that their bold designs in hand-crafted 18 carat gold with masterful mechanical complications would be more appropriate in a protected glass case in a museum. However, unlike museum pieces, here you’re invited to take them in our hands, admire the amazing Italian craftsmanship of the cases and for the true watch aficionado, lust after the complicated Swiss movements.
Invited to actually try them on, despite their bold, ornate appearance, they are surprisingly comfortable on the wrist - although given the gold content a little physical preparation for the arm and wrist muscles wouldn’t do any harm. At prices ranging from 145,000 euros for the Qilin to 695,000 euros for the Federico, they’re not exactly your everyday timepieces to wear to the beach or a late night barbecue. Nevertheless, whoever dares to wear them not only will be the centre of attraction, but also the proud owner of a unique watch designed and made by Italian goldsmiths and equipped with exceptional Swiss Made movements.
It’s la Dolce & Gabbana vita.
- Il Drago Imperatore by Dolce & Gabbana
- This Imperial Dragon 18 carat gold hand-engraved wristwatch (44.50 mm) is equipped with a self-winding mechanical movement with a flying tourbillon. The dial is in engraved gold with hand-painted enamel and there are sapphire crystals front and back. In addition the beautiful engraving on the caseback, there is the taijitu symbol (the yin yang) that illustrates the balance between two opposites with a portion of the opposite element in each section. In Taoist metaphysics, distinctions between good and bad, along with other dichotomous moral judgments, are perceptual, not real; so, the duality of yin and yang is an indivisible whole.
- Qilin by Dolce & Gabbana
- An unique hand-engraved 18 carat yellow gold wristwatch (38 x 44 mm) equipped with a Swiss-made vintage manual-winding mechanical movement Calibre DG 53.02 with a Breguet balance spring. Grey mother-of-pearl dial set with four gold hour markers and gold hands, sapphire crystals front and back, 30-hour power reserve. The black alligator strap has an 18 carat gold hand-engraved buckle.
- Monreale by Dolce & Gabbana
- An unique hand-engraved 18 carat gold wristwatch (46.0 mm) with minute repeater and flying tourbillon. The dial is a micro-reproduction of a mosaic pattern in the Monreale Cathedral using mother-of-pearl, malicehite, jasper, glass and gold leaf. The slider for the minute repeater and the crown are set with a diamond.