ucci has captured the heart and minds of younger generations like no other contemporary luxury brand. Now its timepieces and jewellery collections have been infused with the same spirit . The brand introduces a new line of automatic watches – two of them featuring the famous Gucci snake as the GMT hand –, new creations in the highly recognisable G-Frame collection and in the animal-themed classic G-Timeless series… as well as a surprising “three-dimensional” watch in this latter collection.
As surprising and bold is the choice of the star for the new visual campaign supporting the timepieces: no other than American actress Tippi Hedren, a legend of the 1960s, who, as a fortune teller in a richly decorated Los Angeles salon, seems to read into the minds of her younger audience.
Gucci watches: the blueprint of Alessandro Michele
They are definitely coherent with the whole brand’s environment: the new watches introduced by Gucci at Baselworld hold the signature of creative director Alessandro Michele. With their playful motives, they will without a doubt conquer the younger generations… and beyond.
Gucci has been the first fashion brand to venture into watchmaking, back in the 1970s. Many others have tried, but very few have succeeded, especially on the highly-competitive segment of “affordable luxury”. Four decades later, the brand holds its status as an uncompromising provider of unique creations.
It has also early invested in watchmaking facilities in Switzerland, a firm believer in the values of Swiss made. And with the green touch that we feature on the Cover of this issue, we can without a doubt say that Gucci has captured the colour of the year… if not the generation.
In this Cover Story, we introduce you to the brand’s watches of 2018, as well as its original and mysterious new campaign featuring actress Tippi Hedren as a fortune teller.
- New automatic watches
- Gucci is enriching its men’s offering with five innovative new 40 mm automatic watches. Two of the new Swiss Made timepieces come with a GMT function, with an additional hour hand in the shape of a snake for tracking time in a second time zone. Showing a high level of craftsmanship, one features a yellow gold PVD case, a yellow gold-coloured chevron dial, and a black alligator cuff, while the other has a steel case, silver-coloured guilloché dial, and a striking emerald-green alligator cuff.
- The G-Timeless
- Gucci is introducing a new interpretation of a classic watch within the G-Timeless line. Each one blends the look of an easy to wear Swiss Made watch with new motifs such as the bee, the star, and the heart as index markers.
- The G-Frame
- Gucci has extended the G-Frame watch collection with a new size and a variety of the brand’s styles that combine the design codes with contemporary detailing. Highlights include a range of versatile new sizes with interchangeable straps. Offered in two different finishes, the cases of these watches are enhanced by delicate snakeskin straps, offered in a range of additional colours to match the mother-of-pearl dials.
- The three-dimensional G-Timeless
A new “mystical” campaign
Gucci’s new advertising campaign for its timepieces and jewellery is permeated by a mysterious, mystical atmosphere, that is perfectly in keeping with the aesthetic of the new collections. Channelling an other-worldly spirit, inspired by the practise of divination, Gucci tells the story of a fortune teller who is visited by young people wearing key pieces from its timepieces and jewellery collections.
- Gucci’s new campaign visual featuring Tippi Hedren
The star of the campaign is undoubtedly legendary American actress Tippi Hedren, who, after a career as a successful fashion model, became celebrated for her work with director Alfred Hitchcock in The Birds and Marnie.
Creative Director: Alessandro Michele. Art Director: Christopher Simmonds Photographer and Director: Colin Dodgson Talent: Tippi Hedren Models: Victoria Schons, Emily Unkles, Tom Atton Moore, Tex Santos Shaw.