hether it’s vibrantly colourful dials in the 1970s or groundbreaking movements finished with striking tones in its more recent creations, Zenith has never shied away from exploring chromatics in new and daring ways.
Through the Defy 21, the first model to host Zenith’s groundbreaking El Primero 1/100th of a second chronograph movement, Zenith sought to express notion of high-frequency precision through frequencies of light and colours. This idea was first brought to life with the Defy 21 Ultraviolet in 2020, which established a new design code for the Defy 21. Zenith is now fully expressing this concept with the Defy 21 Ultra Colour box set.
Consisting of eight different iterations of the Defy 21 and limited to only eight box sets, the Ultra Colour pieces are all crafted in entirely matte finished lightweight titanium, allowing the chromatics from within to shine through. The open dial features raised chronograph counters matching the grey tone of the case, beneath which vibrant metallic colours are applied in the least expected part of the watch: the movement.
The bridges as well as the oscillating rotor of the eight Ultra Colour pieces are monochromatically finished in eight different tones: black, blue, violet, orange, pink, green, turquoise and khaki. The metallic tones shift with the light, enhancing the sense of volume and dynamism of this exceptional vibrant series. The cordura-effect rubber straps are also made to match the colours of the movement.
Visible through the dial as well as the sapphire case back, one can admire the singular El Primero 21 automatic high-frequency 1/100th of a second chronograph that’s at the peak of performance and precision, featuring two independent regulating organs and gear trains for the timekeeping and chronograph functions, operating at frequencies of 5Hz (36’000 VpH) and 50Hz (360’000 VpH), respectively.
Luminous and transparent with an almost crystalline allure, the Ultra Box set is delivered in a transparent acrylic presentation case, with an iridescent effect that refracts light to display different colours depending on the angle of the light. Each of the watches is engraved on the case back with a limited edition number out of 8, and each box set will feature watches that are sequentially numbered 1 through 8, rather than having the same number for all eight watches in a single box set.
The Defy 21 Ultra Colour box set is made as a very limited edition of only 8 examples and is available exclusively from Zenith physical and online boutiques around the world.
Zenith exists to inspire individuals to pursue their dreams and make them come true – against all odds. Since its establishment in 1865, Zenith became the first vertically integrated Swiss watch manufacture, and its watches have accompanied extraordinary figures that dreamt big and strived to achieve the impossible – from Louis Blériot’s history-making flight across the English Channel to Felix Baumgartner’s record-setting stratospheric free-fall jump. Zenith is also highlighting visionary and trailblazing women by celebrating their accomplishments and creating the DREAMHERS platform where women share their experiences and inspire others to fulfil their dreams.
- Key points: 1/100th of a second Chronograph movement. Exclusive dynamic signature of one rotation per second. 1 escapement for the Watch (36,000 VpH - 5 Hz); 1 escapement for the Chronograph (360,000 VpH - 50 Hz). Chronometer certified.
- Movement: El Primero 9004 automatic
- Frequency 36,000 VpH (5 Hz)
- Power reserve min. 50 hours
- Functions : 1/100th of a second chronograph functions. Chronograph power-reserve indication at 12 o’clock. Hours and minutes in the centre. Small seconds at 9 o’clock, Central chronograph hand, 30-minute counter at 3 o’clock, 60-second counter at 6 o’clock
- Finishes: Colored main plate on movement and colored oscillating weight with satined finishings. Bracelet and movement matching color.
- Material: Microblasted titanium
- Water resistance: 10 ATM
- Dial: Openworked with grey subdials
- Hour markers: Rhodium-plated, faceted and coated with Superluminova SLN C1
- Hands: Rhodium-plated, faceted and coated with Superluminova SLN C1
- Bracelet & Buckle: Different colored straps matching the finishings. Microblasted titanium double folding clasp.
- Price:118’000 CHF